Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Guess I'll Forget You

In 1997 The Black Heart Procession was forged in the San Diego music scene. This was the same collection of musicians that produced bands such as Pinback and Three Mile Pilot. The band put out their sixth full length album, aptly titled Six in late 2009. Today we look at "Guess I'll Forget You" from their 2000 release Three

"Guess I'll Forget You" by The Black Heart Procession from Three



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfGxHgysvfg

I first heard The Black Heart Procession two years ago on Christmas Eve. Some friends were over unwinding from the hectic day with their families. I had Pandora Radio running some random channel in the background and eventually it was time to switch stations. A good friend of mine took matters into his own hands and put on The Black Heart Procession. From that moment on I was hooked. The band immediately became one of my favorites.

I have wanted to do a Black Heart Procession song for as long as I have written this blog. I think their music as a whole speaks very well to the subject material of Suicide Watch Songs, and that is why it has been so hard to pick. I've spent a long time listening to the majority of their catalog, analyzing lyrics, hemming, and hawing about which song to pick. "Guess I'll Forget You" stood out as an early front-runner, and throughout the selection process it became the measuring stick to which I was holding up other songs. I knew it was worthy, but I couldn't figure out why it made a good Suicide Watch Song. Then it hit me, very similarly to the way Sparklehorse's "It's A Wonderful Life" hit me.

When I pick a song for SWS, I attempt to look for songs that are based on the individual. I don't like to go for songs where the depression is based on an event, or due to another person. I especially try to avoid songs of heartbreak. While certainly heartbreak can and does often throw one into depression, the depth of depression that I like to explore is inherent on a personal level. It is the metaphorical powder keg that needs an event to catalyst it's explosion. In other words, I want to explore the tragic, flawed psyche, not the damaged, working through it psyche. We could also refer to this as the 'No "I Want To Know What Love Is" Rule.'

Then why "Guess I'll Forget You?" It is quite obviously about split relations. Am I not breaking my own rule? No, listen to the protagonist. He's so meek and withdrawn. There is no fight left. He doesn't believe he can get his relationship back because he doesn't believe that he is lovable. The split was inevitable. He doesn't cry out. He doesn't fight back. There is no 'come back,' no 'I can change,' just 'I'm going to step aside now. I'll try and forget you.'

The first lyric is "Now you know there's no light on the way," Our character feels as though the truth has been found out about him. His darker insides have been revealed. He's saying 'Now you can see the real me, and that there is nothing to the real me. I am hollow. I am shallow. I will hurt you, and this is for the best.' The next verse begins with a similar lyric, but deepens the metaphor, "Now they say there's no light in the caves. We all know that there's no way out." The depths are too big. Even if you wanted me to climb out. Even if you were to offer your help, there is no way out of this. I am too far gone. I will drag you down with me.

Lyrically the bridge consists of one short line "but before I go I must say that in my heart you'll always be found, always." Our protagonist will forever be burdened with this memories. He will never forget no matter how much he tries.

The Black Heart Procession are masters at building incredible soundscapes. Their music tends to move at a slow dirge, and it is drenched in just the right amount of reverb and echo to make you feel like you're nowhere. Am I in a cave? No, am I in a cathedral? No, I'm just kind of nowhere, being enveloped by this sound. Their tone production makes me feel like I'm watching TV with Vaseline on the screen. When something onscreen is prominent it comes to the front of the shot. One can make out what the image is supposed to be, yet the edges are still fuzzy. The background remains vague, but present. "Guess I'll Forget You" is a perfect example of this. Listen to the way the guitar and organ interplay with the melody. The fading echos of the backbeat trail off, getting quieter and eventually fade like a memory into nothing. The soundscape is vast, but so sparse. It's big sky country; it's impressive because its so full of nothing, well, things so big they seem like nothing.

The saddest part is that the protagonist is causing this. There is never a mention of I'm sorry. There's never a movement towards reconciliation. It's self sabotage. There is no reason that things have to end, but our character decides that leaving, and forgetting, something he admits he'll never be able to do, is the best solution.

As always feel free to comment here, or email me at suicidesongs@communistdaycarecenter.net

2 comments:

  1. "like I'm watching TV with Vaseline on the screen." love it.


    (suppose i could comment directly here rather than elsewhere.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember the first time I read this. It was the first thing in the morning and a pleasant start to the morning.
    I'm not sure why I like this one over others. Perhaps in a year I'll get back to you. I enjoy what you're doing here so thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete