Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sour Milk

Preston Lovingwood from Wild Sweet Orange came up to me the other day and said "I had a dream last night that you used "Sour Milk" on Suicide Watch Songs," to which I replied "Hey Preston, let's make that a reality."

"Sour Milk" by Wild Sweet Orange from We Have Reason To Be Uneasy



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETSm8mKx2Xc

Link To Studio Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYbNNs-ggSw&feature=related

Wild Sweet Orange are in an indie-conundrum. They are caught somewhere between "indie," wherein a band is well known and popular among those in the know, label supported and touring behind a slick produced album in a new Dodge Sprinter van, and an indie band, wherein the band is kinda known with a few diehard fans, but most people are there to see the other bands on the show, they've put out their own album, most likely recorded in a decent basement studio, possibly with it's own handmade packaging, and getting from gig to gig in uncle Ray's old Econoline 150. In other words, somewhere between radio indie and file sharing indie. Wild Sweet Orange has the slick recording, good looking merch, and the tight tonal landscape of a major label indie band, but none of the clout, at least not around here. For the record, I have no clue what the band uses to get from gig to gig.

What we've got here is a band that is aiming high, and with good reason. One has to play the part they want and they are doing so, the only issue is if they can hang on through the rough times long enough to make it there. I was introduced to the band the way that I'm sure many were, from a friend. They have one album to date, We Have Cause To Be Uneasy, which I promptly stole, and then validated by buying a copy when the band came through town. While the whole album is great, the fifth track "Sour Milk" jumped right out at me and has stuck with me.

Note that there are two links at the top of the page, one to the posted video and one to the album cut. I really like the solo acoustic version and wanted to share it and that is why it is the primary video. However, if you like the song you should check out the studio version as well. There are many attributes that are added in the full band version. For instance, the pump organ at the beginning was captured really well. You can hear the reeds clearly. The background vocal at the end of the song is truly amazing as well.

"I'll take the road less traveled by, that's what my father always said. Now he works in an office with a whore in his bed." This sets the theme of the song right away. Arriving at adulthood is a daunting task. Understanding that your own father is fallible is one of the hardest realizations to which I have come. Our teachers are hypocrites. On some level they must be, that is part of the goal of all good people to leave the world better than you found it. 'Son, do what I say and not what I do' is akin to 'Son, be a better person than me.'

"My mother sleeps alone at night dreamin' of all her regret inside. I want to tell her that I love her. Oh and if I could, I would have given her so much better," I do not interpret this line not as I gave my all and I wish I had more to give. Instead I interpret it as if I had another chance, I would have been a better son. "'cause don't you tell me that that man is my father." I am better than that. I am not that man's son, and I wish I could go back and prove it. "Oh just some hooded conceiver, who tried really really hard to please her." Here some uncertainty is introduced. Our protagonist is not happy with the man his father is, but at least he acknowledges that he tried. This puts doubt on the whole situation. We're led to believe that it's the father who left, but really isn't it usually the man who has to leave in a relationship, at least from the child's view? Don't most children live with their mothers after a divorce? So maybe it wasn't Dad's doing. Maybe mom wanted to end it.

Too heavy, our protagonist must retreat. "So I'm returning to my gladness when I was only ten. Playing football in the front yard and sweating with my friends." Old memories are always great or horrible. Over time the ones that don't fade away dig in and become iconic in the back of the brain, and so mist people think of their childhood fondly or with disdain. For our protaganist, his childhood is a distant, perfect time, to be chased but never achieved again. "I remember when I was thirteen. It was October something. I was standing on the front lawn listening. That was the first time I heard you calling, as the sun was cooling down." Who was calling? What was calling?

"and the Mom's were about to drive their kids around, and they say 'Blah blah blah blah.' And they say 'Blah blah blah. They give us truth decieving. I don't think that's truth at all." The 'blah's' repeat and then "They give us love that's leaving. I don't think that's love at all." Harsh, hopeless. Was it the 'blah's' that were calling, deceiving and leaving the single glimmer of hope in this song?

We continue: "Oh and the steeple people, oh they're so happy not knowing you. So boldly do they pervert your truth." Is it higher power? Is it self awareness? Is it the protagonist himself calling? The next couplet certainly sets up an 'us and them' scenario. "Oh did they think we wouldn't grow up? Did they think we wouldn't throw back up the sour milk they've been pouring down our throats?"

We are angry. We are ready to question with real reasons behind our ideals. We are ready to have a voice! "Oh and they have raised one pissed off generation with kids that have to start taking care of them. Like hey mom! Get to work on time, and hey Dad! Would you come home to night? And the both of you stop drinking so much wine."

... "and they say 'Blah blah blah blah"

hopeless. no one listens. no one cares. there is no reason to.


As always feel free to comment or give suggestions for songs here or at
suicidesongs@communistdaycarecenter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment